How do I get a copy of a prior-year tax return and W-2?

If you filed your tax return through A&D Accounting, LLP, simply contact us for a copy of your records. Otherwise, as long as you filed your tax return with the IRS, you can request a photocopy or a computer transcript (a line-by-line listing) of the information on your filed tax return. Photocopies and transcripts are free from the IRS. If you need an actual copy (not a photocopy), then you must complete Form 4506 and pay a $39 fee for your filed tax return and all related tax information, such as your Form W-2.

How do I get my Form W-2?

Your employer should mail your Form W-2 to you by January 31.

What information should I bring to the Interview?

Make sure to bring the following materials to your tax interview:

  • Wage statements (Form W-2) Commissions received and/or paid
  • Last year's tax return Pension, or retirement income (Forms 1099-R)
  • Self-employed business income and expenses Social Security card(s)
  • Lottery and/or gambling winnings and losses Driver's license(s)
  • State refund amount Information on the sales of stocks and/or bonds
  • Social Security and/or unemployment income Alimony paid or received
  • Income and expenses from rentals Information on education expenses
  • Dependents' Social Security numbers and dates of birth Medical and dental expenses
  • Record of purchase or sale of real estate Real estate and personal property taxes
  • Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid Cash and non-cash charitable donations
  • Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid (Form 1098) Childcare expenses and provider information
  • Unreimbursed employment-related expenses Job-related educational expenses

How much does it cost to have my taxes prepared?

The cost of tax preparation is based upon the complexity of your tax return. To learn more, please contact us directly.

How quickly can I get my refund?

When you file electronically and choose one of the free IRS Direct options, you can receive your refund directly from the IRS by direct deposit in approximately 8 to 15 days. You can also choose to have the IRS mail you a check in approximately 21 to 28 days. IRS Direct is free with paid tax preparation.

I need to change my withholding. How do I update my personal information?

Use Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. If you get married or divorced, if a child is born, or if you no longer can claim a child as your dependent, you will need to complete a new Form W-4. When you begin to work at a new company, your employer must give you a Form W-4 to complete. You can also request a Form W-4 from your employer at any time to reflect a change in your tax situation.

What is the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and am I eligible?

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is applicable to low-income workers who may or may not have a qualifying child, or children, living with them. If you can take the EITC, then it is subtracted from the tax owed. The credit can be refunded even if you don’t owe any tax. If you have a qualifying child and your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) are each less than $33,241 ($35,241 if filing Married Filing Jointly), then you could be eligible for a maximum credit of $2,853. The maximum credit is $4,716 if you have more than one qualifying child and your earned income and your AGI are both less than $37,783 ($39,783 if Married Filing Jointly). You may still qualify for a maximum credit of $428 if you do not have children and your income is less than $12,590 ($14,590 if Married Filing Jointly).

Do you stand behind your work?

When you pay for tax preparation at A&D Accounting, LLP, you are automatically covered under our Accuracy Guarantee which entitles you to reimbursement of penalties and interest charged by a taxing authority if we make an error preparing your tax return.